Big Thoughts, Small World.
I feel a certain sense of freedom in knowing that not many people are reading this. Yet.
Time is flying by and I'm almost feeling rushed as I prepare to leave the country. Mostly, I'm exhilarated to do something meaningful, thrilling and a little dangerous. I also cannot wait to get back to Africa. There is something so viscerally magical and tremendously genuine about Africa - at least from my initial experience. I crave that absolute originality. After all, we all came out of Africa. I really believe there is something in our very genetic construction that knows the land and identifies with it on the most basic level. Being in Africa, for me, is aqcquainting myself with the majesty and profoundity of the story of human kind.
I'm also really excited to get to know the Ugandan people and their culture. Even after reading and researching I still have no idea what to expect. It will be very different from South Africa, I know that much. So far, I'm only nervous about having to tame myself and my American Girl ways... being loud, wearing pants and saying what I please... that sort of thing. I don't want to act like the stereotypical Western feminist (even though I am a pretty typical American feminist, college-aged person without the nose ring) that expects the world to change for/with her and her beliefs. Instead I want to understand the world as it is now, so I can better work to change it. We'll see how that goes.
3 weeks...
Time is flying by and I'm almost feeling rushed as I prepare to leave the country. Mostly, I'm exhilarated to do something meaningful, thrilling and a little dangerous. I also cannot wait to get back to Africa. There is something so viscerally magical and tremendously genuine about Africa - at least from my initial experience. I crave that absolute originality. After all, we all came out of Africa. I really believe there is something in our very genetic construction that knows the land and identifies with it on the most basic level. Being in Africa, for me, is aqcquainting myself with the majesty and profoundity of the story of human kind.
I'm also really excited to get to know the Ugandan people and their culture. Even after reading and researching I still have no idea what to expect. It will be very different from South Africa, I know that much. So far, I'm only nervous about having to tame myself and my American Girl ways... being loud, wearing pants and saying what I please... that sort of thing. I don't want to act like the stereotypical Western feminist (even though I am a pretty typical American feminist, college-aged person without the nose ring) that expects the world to change for/with her and her beliefs. Instead I want to understand the world as it is now, so I can better work to change it. We'll see how that goes.
3 weeks...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home