In America.
These sunflowers reminded me of being very quintessential Americana, to symbolize this as my last month in the States for a while. Although, I found out they can grow anywhere in the world, and they do. All they need is sun. Me and the sunflowers...
As the moon and stars shift and August begins, I'm only a month away from embarking on the big trip. I have much to think about, money being the one thing that I can't shake. Who would have thought that when you borrow all that bread to go to school that they actually want you to pay it back...!
Enough trivialness, already. I think we're in need of some introductions. And let me tell you - I hate introductions. So generic. How can one shove human complexities and nuance into four simple boxes: NAME, FAVORITE FOOD, AREA OF INTEREST, HOME TOWN? [Sarah, tamales, international development, Sterling Heights, MI] that's how.
Okay so back down to business, why am I creating this.. blog (i'm sorry sometimes it's hard for me to say that word without snickering.)? To begin, I'm leaving for Uganda (around the Mbale district) in just over a month and I'll be there doing an internship with the foundation for sustainable development. I'll be working at the AIDS Information Center in Mbale Town, creating and implementing AIDS and reproductive health programs for women and children. For me, this is living the dream. There is nothing more beautiful than helping others and allowing yourself to learn from the people in an unfamiliar place. Humanity is universal, but privlege is not. We have a lot of work to do, and when is a better time to do it?
I'll be chronicling this adventure as frequently as I can. I'll try to be candid, honest and if you're lucky, funny.
But probably not ;)
Until next time.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home