Muzungus in Mbale.
Mulembe everyone. That is how you say Peace in the language here. Will and I arrived without event on Friday night in Entebbe, were picked up from the airport to a nice little backpakers hostel near Lake Victoria. It was pitch black the night we arrived so after a surreal sleep, I awoke to lush vegetation and the smell of Africa. That is when I began to realize where I really am, a process that continues a bit more each morning.
First, I'd like to say thank you for checking this journal of mine and that I will try to update as much as possible. The first few days in Uganda were spent in travel and getting adjusted so it was very hard to communicate home at first. This condition will only improve. I have seen the place I will work, TASO (the AIDS support org) and much of the city, which is comparable to the size of a smaller town in the U.S. Right now it is still big and even a little frightening, but it is warm and lovely in its way. The surrounds are astounding, as we are located nera the Kenyan border in the foothills of the extinct volcano Mt. Elgon. Surrounded by beauty and nestled among poverty, Mbale is very much a contradiction. Cell phone service providers line the streets alongside live chickens and roadside sandal vendors. Warm spirits and easy smiles characterize people for the most part, however it is unwise to walk anywhere at night.
I have a feeling I will learn a great deal from this place, its feel, its smell (something between fresh air, motor oil, perspiration and stewing vegetables), its flaws, hopes, fears and strengths.
There's a word for people like me here. Muzungu. This means foreigner, or white person, really (Ugandans hold little cadence for my half-Mexican background ;) )The other interns and I have grown used to it and its use, which is never hostile. But we are quite novel to see in these parts. The Bagisu (the locals) laugh hard when the Muzungu tries to speak his language. He!
I can't wait to begin my work, as this week is an "orientation" period of language training ("ooh Muzumgu so smart"), guest speakers and walking tours. It is has been fun and I like everyone we are with, but the real reason I am here has not yet began. Pictures will be coming soon but you can imagine how silly Muzungo look with digital cameras pointed everywhere.. I'm waiitng until they get to know us better. All the best to everyone at home, I am safe and happy here. Will is too. Don't worry about us, but do think of us all the way out here.
Until next time...
First, I'd like to say thank you for checking this journal of mine and that I will try to update as much as possible. The first few days in Uganda were spent in travel and getting adjusted so it was very hard to communicate home at first. This condition will only improve. I have seen the place I will work, TASO (the AIDS support org) and much of the city, which is comparable to the size of a smaller town in the U.S. Right now it is still big and even a little frightening, but it is warm and lovely in its way. The surrounds are astounding, as we are located nera the Kenyan border in the foothills of the extinct volcano Mt. Elgon. Surrounded by beauty and nestled among poverty, Mbale is very much a contradiction. Cell phone service providers line the streets alongside live chickens and roadside sandal vendors. Warm spirits and easy smiles characterize people for the most part, however it is unwise to walk anywhere at night.
I have a feeling I will learn a great deal from this place, its feel, its smell (something between fresh air, motor oil, perspiration and stewing vegetables), its flaws, hopes, fears and strengths.
There's a word for people like me here. Muzungu. This means foreigner, or white person, really (Ugandans hold little cadence for my half-Mexican background ;) )The other interns and I have grown used to it and its use, which is never hostile. But we are quite novel to see in these parts. The Bagisu (the locals) laugh hard when the Muzungu tries to speak his language. He!
I can't wait to begin my work, as this week is an "orientation" period of language training ("ooh Muzumgu so smart"), guest speakers and walking tours. It is has been fun and I like everyone we are with, but the real reason I am here has not yet began. Pictures will be coming soon but you can imagine how silly Muzungo look with digital cameras pointed everywhere.. I'm waiitng until they get to know us better. All the best to everyone at home, I am safe and happy here. Will is too. Don't worry about us, but do think of us all the way out here.
Until next time...
3 Comments:
Hey Sarah and Wil,
So glad you arrived safely. I have been thinking of you since last week. Sarah, as per your instructions, I saw your mom and dad on Friday, and "checked her out" She is doing fine so far, and I will stay in touch.
Love to you both. I will write occasionaly with news of home.
Aunt Paula
Sarah-
I am so excited for you and your journey. I'll be following your blog, living vicariously through your interesting life. Keep the updates coming- you're awesome.
:)
Emily (you know, from SA)
Hey Sarah, this is Aunt Paula teaching Mary and Michele (hah!) how to access your blog. Love to you. Michele wants to know if you read the books.
Post a Comment
<< Home