Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Series of Important Events.

This just in...the news bulletins from a week of significant happenings.

Movin' On Up
George and Weezie would be proud (we're even on the East Side). Will and I packed up our things, said our bittersweet goodbyes to our lovely host families, and headed for our new place in Senior Quarters last Wednesday. Our apartment is pretty spacious, with red cement floors (not dirt!) andhot water (when there's power). So far it has been great to have some more freedom, quietness and our own food. We've had grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches for the past two nights, which is fine with me. In our neighborhood there's a Dutch, delivering, dairy farmer that brings fresh mozzarella. Score! It's a lot more work living independently, especially doing all the laundry by hand, but it's worth it. I already miss the kids and my 'family' but I'll be visiting them often.

The other three interns move in this weekend, precisely when we begin filming The Really Real World: Uganda.

Wrapping Up at TASO
I have spent the last two months at The AIDS Support Organization, and my stay there is coming to an end this week. I have experienced and witnessed so much at TASO, including traveling to remote villages and meeting countless people living with AIDS. I saw their pain, the immense challenges of staying healthy even with ARVs, and of course their will and hope to keep living. Most of what I've learned I cannot yet comprehend, the real learning will happen with time I think.

While at TASO, I worked on improving an empty youth center. After getting shelves installed, sanding and painting them myself, and holding a book and media drive in the States, and just generally sprucing the place up, there will be a useful resource center for the infected and affected youth in Mbale. It's not much but it's something. Of course, as I half expected, it is much harder to come in to a place and just create change or help improve lives. These are romantic notions (not to mention very difficult tasks) for a short internship, but I hope that the many people who I have touched (and who have touched me) are affected in some small, positive way.

So, what's next? I go to work for Mothers of Peace, a new NGO headed by my host mother Janet, that is dedicated to social and economic empowerment for young mothers in rural Uganda. Mothers of Peace is much smaller and more grass-roots than TASO, so I will be able to have more of a direct impact on the organization and the women they're involved with.

DemoCRAZY
Even from afar, we (Will, the interns, Jacob and I aka the Americans) have been really swept up by the U.S. election. Yesterday when it was our November 7, not exactly the EST Nov. 7, we were all tense and nervous because so much is at stake politically back home. Needless to say, I was happy to see the Dems take the House and Granholm winning out the Dick by a healthy margin.

However, I am frustrated and angry to see the affirmative action ban was approved. It makes me a little nauseous to think my state is so misguided and believes in the myths of meritocracy and equality. From the view of someone living in one of the most struggling places on earth, there is no equality. Not in Mbale, Uganda or Detroit, Michigan. And without any mechanisms to undo structural racism and sexism (which are very real both here and in the U.S.) it will take humanity much longer before when can be honest with ourselves when we talk about how "equal" we all are.

Start Spreading the News
I'll make a brand new start of it, in old New York..

This morning I received my Teach for America placement. I'll be teaching (tentatively) secondary language arts/English in New York City (that part is permanent). Will and I will be moving to the Big Apple sometime later this summer!

And if I can make it there (and here), Im gonna make it anywhere..

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York EH! I guess your mother and I can afford that visit. I can't believe the amendment passing also. I woder if people knew the only organization that backed it was the KKK. Disturbing is'nt it.
Keep writing Kid.

11/08/2006 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that just goes to show ya (shows to go ya?) what parents know. On Monday your dad said Chicago. So now from the horses mouth ( no offense honey) its NY! Well that's just as good. Uncle Mike and I want to visit there too.

Hope your apartment is big enough.......

xxx,
AP

11/09/2006 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NEW YORK CITY! Cool! We'd love to visit too! I need to make my way out to see Erin before I head to NY... 'tis interesting about the elections. I asked Jules if the House and Senate were an okay gift for her B-day...ha ha ha.

Gonna run for now. I'm still at school, my contacts are fuzzy and I can't see this screen very well! Love ya! AJ

11/16/2006 4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home