Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Trips, Tortoises and Turkeys.


This weekend we took a little trip up to Sipi Falls for a chance to unwind and unload a bit. I've been here in Uganda for over two months now so it was about time for another little breather - even if we only travelled to another district. Sometimes life here is so intense that my emotions either implode on to myself, or worse, explode onto everyone else! So a trip away was pretty necessary. The view of the falls was breathtaking (see above) and the comforts of the lodge were welcomed to say the least (fresh brewed coffee delivered to the banda in the morning!). Although the trip was only for one night, not enough time for the relection I desired, it was an ideal place for relaxing, eating good food and doing a little soul searching.


Since I've left TASO I have began another project with the fledgling (newly changed name) Mothers of Hope. The group is dedicated to socioeconomic empowerment of young women, namely mothers, through skills development (e.g. baking, tailoring, driving), advocacy for "girl-child" education, and I am a little overwhelemed and underwhelmed all at once with it. I have a lot of responsibility with getting the group going - designing a logo and brochure, improving the constitution, outlining for the baseline study of young mothers in Bungokho subcounty, Mbale District, meeting the women and doing needs-assessing interviews, grant writing and more. Yet, with all this work to do, I feel stymied by the people I'm working with and their sometimes tortoise pace. It's taking a lot of patience each day, and I am trying to understand the complex context of the differing work ethic and it is in delicate balance with the struggles of living and working in a resource-poor economy.

In other matters, I am feeling a little homesick lately as the holidays begin. I miss the crisp fall air warmed by a cozy sweater and a house full of family. I hear Maya is crawling and has one whole tooth already (!). One can hardly notice winter or the holidays coming here and there are no turkeys I'd consider eating (I only see them feeding on lovely garbage piles). We're thinking of having our Ugandan families over to Aparment Intern for some chicken (remember what I said about the larger, less moist bird), mashed potatoes, green beans and pie, sort of like a Thanksgiving. It should be nice, but there ain't nothing like the real thing, baby. The prospect of a turkey-less, pumpkin-less, football-less, family-less Thursday - while upsetting - is what I've resigned to. But I do have Will, and friends, and chicken, and beer, and I suppose that'll do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you come home, I will cook for you.

We always had a family that looked like a Brueghal painting---full, loud, busy, eating. Its not exactly the same, as all of our seeds are cast to their winds. But I still carry you and the others in my heart.

Love to you,

AP

11/22/2006 1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel for you completely! this will be my second Thanksgiving with out the fam but my holiday in London was so much more eventful. The feel of fall was there and my dormmates were my family and we all came together to have a busy drunk eventful holiday. I dont really know where I want to go this year... I have 3 invites open to my choice and I have yet to decide. I'm more looking forward to Friday and the weekend festivities with my dad and Sean at the ND/USC game!!

Happy Non Turkey Day to you. Enjoy how you must. Your family is with in you and thinking of you always!

My love to Will and you

E

11/22/2006 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you do have your "family" over for a feast, regardless of what you have available to cook. Maybe this will give an opportunity to share some of your culture with them.

It's an especially strange holiday for our family because everyone does seem to be scattered. Until a few days ago all my sibs were to be in different places on thursday...something I thought I'd never see. Still, like you, everyone is doing what they need to do for themselves which is a part of growing.

Remember, this family is with you in spirit.

Love,
AJ

11/22/2006 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kid, Thanks Giving is just that Giving Thanks, Thanks for extremely inteligent, Humanity Loving, Socialy Connected children.Thanks for family that cares more about not being there than just showing up.I would like to say that I will miss you but miss is not strong enough for how I (we) feel about you not being there. You absence is temporary, You can not replace what you will have learned, felt and influinced.
Love Always
Dad

11/22/2006 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home