Saturday, January 27, 2007

Kumquats and Subplots

For over four months now I've chronicled this story of mine via the modest web site you are now viewing. You've read about some of my struggles, triumphs, adventures, misadventures, discoveries, lessons and awakenings. But while my musings are as complete as possible given time and energy constraints (not to mention realities of the developing world like slow connection, power cuts) there is still much that you, the faraway reader don't get from my posts. Here are the back stories, the layers of context that give breath and breadth to any story, the subtext to the narrative of my life in Uganda.

Grin and Bear It


My poor boyfriend. Imagine the horror: the second time in NFL history that his beloved Chicago Bears have the kind of season that gets them to the Super Bowl and he's thousands of miles away from Soldier Field. The poor bloke has watched one game all season, after an intricate dance of knowing and paying the right people at the right time. An ever present undertone to life in our house, especially on game Sundays: Will and his tortuous love affair with the Bears. It's the "I love you, I need you, I can't have you" kind of love. Ah, but just wait until you hear what we have planned for the Super Bowl. Nothing will stop this fan from watching the game of, let's face it this might not happen again, his lifetime.

Party of Five

This is no real world. First of all there are five roommates, not seven. And this isn't the TV show: there's no fabulous gay character, the obligatory angry black man, or a "spicy" (read: bitchy) Latina. Okay, we're kind of close on that last one. But you get the drift: our apartment atmosphere is decidedly un-MTV. What we are is well, less dramatic and far less exciting: five well-educated kids from what would appear to be similar backgrounds. Let's start with the similarities. We all grew up in white suburbs (eyes slightly rolling) and went to good universities where we probably over-achieved to differing extents, and are poised for success of varying levels in several fields. We all believe in social and economic equality, if in different ways.

So where do our differences come in? Some are very rich, others not so much. Some are capitalists and free market diehards, others (me) have a democratic-socialist, anti-capitalist strain. Others don't really care about those things at all. Our interests differ from medicine to writing to economics to business to InTouch magazine to karaoke (guess who?)to art to working out to drinking (okay sometimes we share this one)... you get the point. We all get along well enough, with only the occasional blow out. Our small differences (the world over, none of us are very dissimilar) only highlight how much heart matters versus head. And the group dynamics have only taught me more about what kind of middle-class kid I am and will always be. Enough said. (Anyone sensing a subtext in the subplot?)

Politics, Schmolitics

I am not at liberty to talk about the current political situation in Uganda. But, I can tell you all about the country of, let us say, Maganda, a place very similar to the above mentioned republic. In Maganda, their president refuses to leave office after 21 years and has changed the constitution to undo term limits. Maganda is one of the poorest countries in the world, but their parliament (600 strong) have just received $30,000 each for luxury, four-wheel drive SUVs (the roads are far too poor for them to travel to their constituents). And thus, the poor country of Maganda does not have this kind of money to just dole out (for example money is not ear marked for roads), so they must borrow from commercial banks who are more than happy to increase Maganda's debt to the world. Meanwhile, most of the 25 million people of Maganda lack access to adequate health care, quality education and have little food security. The power system, water works, communication and economic infrastructures sorely need to be strengthened. And the president and the parliament sit and get fatter. Like Jon Stewart says, Democracy Inaction.

Teacher as Pupil

I work with a group of rural women, most have at least two children and range in age from 15 to 70 (quite a feat, life expectancy is 47). Their strength of body, mind and spirit is astounding and they inspire me every time I make a visit to their village. I've been teaching life skills such as family planning (reproductive health), nutrition, sanitation, business and marketing and the like to them three days a week. As I get practice teaching, they are learning necessary skills and practical knowledge to enrich their families, diets and wallets. We've just started training in baking skills so they can open a bakery co-op to sell their goods and improve their livelihoods. I've applied for funding for startup capital and it is looking promising.

Most of them did not have much schooling so I sense they enjoy holding a notebook and pen, already feeling a little more powerful, poised to learn and be heard. "Teacher!," they yell when I enter the room. Or they just call me Mama Suubi. I tell them Sarah is okay. They place a lot of their hopes in me - a daunting and touching gesture that I want so much to live up to. But little do they know, all the hope and strength they'll ever need is within them, and they don't need me at all. I have the world to learn from them, from the way they thrive and survive, love and lose, endure and endure again.

Ed's Note: A kumquat is a delicious Asian citrus fruit and for the record, the only thing I could think of that rhymes with subplot.

Ed's Note, ad naseum: Check out my new photos of the work I've been doing and the people that make it worthwhile. If anyone is interested in donating to Maama Suubi/Mothers of Hope Uganda (you'll know where your money is going: to the people!) we could use your support. Leave a message on this post if you are interested in giving.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah...It's been far too long since I told you what a phenomenal writer you are. And if it's even possible, I think you're getting better with each entry. I can't wait to work with you and words again when you get stateside! Love you muchly, Traci.

1/28/2007 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah you are a amazing person. I wish i could be out there helping the world as you do but im stuck in Sterling heights for another 4 years. Oh boy i cant wait to get out of here. I am very lucky to have a sister like you. You are the smartest person i know and i love you! be safe and keep doing good!

love your fav sis

~*~Julia~*~

1/29/2007 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home