Angry Man, Hungry Woman
After a short bout of African tummy (food poisioning/water contamination/any damn thing) this week followed by a hectic training day with the Maama Suubi ladies (I taught them how to make real American chocolate chip cookies that muzungus will pay a pretty penny for), I'm forced to take a breath. With so much mounting in these next two weeks , it is hard to stand still, move outside myself and really take a look at what is happening. I'm about to leave Africa. As quickly as I came, I'll be gone. And there is not enough time in the world to do what I came here to do or to reflect on what that actually is, everything is a whizzing whir of questions, longings, unknowings and excitements.
A few of you (readers) have wondered why I have not posted in a while, but the truth is I've been so busy and overwhelmed it's hard to get a minute to myself, let alone for reflection. Our days are filled with field work and the always daunting tasks of getting there - do I take a crowded matatu (taxi bus), a slightly dangerous picky (motorcycle taxi), boda-boda or what? -, keeping the house clean, paying the bills (Will), figuring out dinner (Me), planning for lessons or training and trying to get a moment of relaxation. In some ways I'm strapped between the two continents: I want to be home but I want to finish my project and put a close to my life here with as much integrity as possible. The stress of life in Uganda, coupled with a volunteer's bank account, is piling up at the same time the responsibilities are piling high. Now I'm comfortable under stress, relative poverty and high productivity levels - but it is still wearing Will and I a bit thin.
Sometimes I think I couldn't do it without him, and he says the same of me, but we both know we would be able to do this without the other, but maybe not as well. After all the daily events that can wear on a psyche, both the tiny and monstrous sadnessess and dramas that play themselves out each day on this stage, I feel such a comfort to come home to Will. We can laugh (or cry) about the days events; make ramen, tuna sandwiches or grilled cheese over candlelight (not on account of romance, I assure you) and thank our lucky stars for our well-being, the possibility of a better tomorrows and mostly for one another.
The title of this post is from a great little James Taylor tune, and one that my parents quote as being "one of their songs." An homage to love in hard times, it's about holding on. Holding on to eachother, for a better day, for getting it right, even if it's next time around. But it also has a sense of humor, a coping skill too valuable to ever lose.
So, I thought it fits our crazy love story in Uganda. Life's a little messed up, sometimes we drive eachother crazy, but mostly we'd go crazy without eachother.
And everything's going to be alright, if we just hold on.
A few of you (readers) have wondered why I have not posted in a while, but the truth is I've been so busy and overwhelmed it's hard to get a minute to myself, let alone for reflection. Our days are filled with field work and the always daunting tasks of getting there - do I take a crowded matatu (taxi bus), a slightly dangerous picky (motorcycle taxi), boda-boda or what? -, keeping the house clean, paying the bills (Will), figuring out dinner (Me), planning for lessons or training and trying to get a moment of relaxation. In some ways I'm strapped between the two continents: I want to be home but I want to finish my project and put a close to my life here with as much integrity as possible. The stress of life in Uganda, coupled with a volunteer's bank account, is piling up at the same time the responsibilities are piling high. Now I'm comfortable under stress, relative poverty and high productivity levels - but it is still wearing Will and I a bit thin.
Sometimes I think I couldn't do it without him, and he says the same of me, but we both know we would be able to do this without the other, but maybe not as well. After all the daily events that can wear on a psyche, both the tiny and monstrous sadnessess and dramas that play themselves out each day on this stage, I feel such a comfort to come home to Will. We can laugh (or cry) about the days events; make ramen, tuna sandwiches or grilled cheese over candlelight (not on account of romance, I assure you) and thank our lucky stars for our well-being, the possibility of a better tomorrows and mostly for one another.
The title of this post is from a great little James Taylor tune, and one that my parents quote as being "one of their songs." An homage to love in hard times, it's about holding on. Holding on to eachother, for a better day, for getting it right, even if it's next time around. But it also has a sense of humor, a coping skill too valuable to ever lose.
So, I thought it fits our crazy love story in Uganda. Life's a little messed up, sometimes we drive eachother crazy, but mostly we'd go crazy without eachother.
And everything's going to be alright, if we just hold on.
2 Comments:
Angry Man, Hungry Woman Driving Each other Crazy but we got to hold on!!
God Bless You Young Lady
Dad
Your post made me cry. I've been crying a lot these past few days. News of others' troubles have dragged me down. Sadness in the face of people I love has dragged me down. Not enough sunshine has, as always, dragged me down.
Its good to have someone to share life with--although to my mind, those someones change as life goes on--people come in and out---and back again. Ebb & flow. It's probably the best reason to speak truthfully but with a mode of kindness because you never know.
I am glad you have Will, and I know how lucky he is to have you.
Hurry home!
Love, Aunt Paula
Post a Comment
<< Home